- Dalton Conley (NYU), author of
You May Ask Yourself: An Introduction to Thinking like a Sociologist
Being Black: Living in the Red
and the newly-released Parentology: Everything You Wanted to Know
about the Science of Raising Children, but Were Too Exhausted to Ask
will speak Sat, March 28, 4:30 pm
"Out of the (Ivory) Tower and Into the Fire:
The Promise and Peril of Outward-Facing Sociology"
- Lisa Wade (Occidental), founding editor of the wildly popular
will speak Thurs, March 26, 4:30 pm on
"Doing Public Sociology: Notes from a Practitioner"
takes part in an opening plenary townhall discussion, Friday, March 27, noon
"Sociology for What and for Whom?"
- Organizer / Presider: Monte Bute, Metro State
- Discussant: Lisa Wade, Occidental College
- Discussant: Doug Hartmann, University of Minnesota
Saturday, March 28, noon
"Social Science and Public Engagement"
Organizer & Presider: Doug Hartmann, University of Minnesota / MSS
- Kevin Leicht, University of Iowa / National Science Foundation
- Christopher Uggen, University of Minnesota / The Society Pages.org
- Theda Skocpol, Harvard University / Scholars Strategy Network
Friday, March 27, 5:00 pm
“Getting Serious about Inequality”
MSS President Kevin Leicht, University of Iowa, National Science Foundation
to be scheduled
"On the Status of Public Universities"
John Holmwood (University of Nottingham, UK;
Past President of the British Sociological Association)