Almost one-half of MSS’s 1300 members are students of sociology.
Did you know that MSS…..
- helps many student members pay their travel costs to the MSS annual meeting?
- sponsors an annual student paper competition with cash prizes?
- will host research poster sessions* especially for undergrads at the 2016 MSS-NCSA meeting?
- will host round table sessions* especially for undergrads at the 2016 MSS-NCSA meeting?
* Grad students!! Your closed sessions and abstracts for individual presentations, including posters and round tables, should be submitted through the submission portal before Oct. 31.[ Grad students will share poster sessions and round table sessions with professional sociologists.]
MSS student members are represented on the MSS Board of Directors by student directors.
If you have questions about anything MSS, please feel free to contact one of the student directors listed below, or the MSS Exec Office.
Meggan Lee, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Erin Hoekstra, University of Minnesota
Jennifer Talarico, MSS Executive Director
Travel Grants for Student Members:
Application Period Open (January-February 2017)
Application deadline: midnight, March 1.
Each year, MSS offers travel grants of $100 each to 150 student members who participate in the annual meeting. The grants are intended to help student members with the expenses of traveling to the MSS annual meeting.
To allow MSS to serve as many students with real need as possible, please do not apply for these funds if your school is paying all or most of your expenses to attend the annual meeting.
Award Application Requirements:
To be eligible for a travel grant for the 2017 meeting, you must:
- Be a 2017 MSS member in good standing.
- Register for the 2017 annual meeting, including paying required fees, by February 1.
- Be listed on the annual meeting program as a presenter, panelist, discussant or organizer.
- Submit your request per the directions below.
Please follow these directions to submit your request for a student travel grant:
- Look up the session number(s) in which you’re participating in the final program (link to be posted here late January).
- Email your request for a travel grant before midnight, March 1, to MSS Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Put “MSS Travel Award” in the email subject line.
- In the body of the e-mail, include:
- your full name,
- your institutional affiliation,
- your student status [grad or undergrad],
- the session number(s) in which you are participating.
Awardee Selection and Announcement
- If there are more than 150 eligible applicants, the 150 award winners will be randomly drawn from all applicants.
- You will be notified of your award status before the meeting, and may pick up your $100 check at the MSS registration desk in Milwaukee. Any checks not claimed will be forfeited.
- If awardee decides not to attend the meeting, he/she should inform MSS at once, so that the award can be offered to another applicant.
- If an awardee withdraws from his/her annual meeting participation of his/her own accord, the award will be withdrawn by MSS.
Questions? Email the MSS Executive Office.